Sunday, November 11, 2018

Hugo Winner Book Review: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury



Continuing with my review of Hugo award winning novels, this was the winner in 1954.

What can I say about Fahrenheit 451 - hasn't everyone read it? I've probably read it a dozen times over the years and reading it again was a pleasure. The novel is a classic and an example of some of Bradbury's best writing. It is also the only novel he considered science fiction (he considered The Martian Chronicles to be more fantasy that science fiction as it features a romanticised version of Mars that could support human life). Without giving away any spoilers, I'll just say that the novel is more relevant today that ever before, and presents a future that bears many frightening resemblances to where the world is headed today. I would consider it required reading for any fan of science fiction or just good fiction writing in general.

No comments: