Friday, April 19, 2019

Hugo Winner Book Review: Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner



I really want to like this book, but at 72 pages in I had to set it aside.

It reads more like a series of short scenes, rather than a novel, with little connection between them. While the author makes some rather interesting and accurate predictions about life in the future, I couldn't really find a plot or characters that I cared about.

At a little over 10% of the way through the novel's 650 pages, I called it quits for now, the first time I've done this for any Hugo award-winning novel. I will make another attempt to complete it at a later date.

Setting it aside, I picked up a copy of Heinlein's The Puppet Masters, was hooked within the first few pages, and finished it in a few days. Not a Hugo award winner, it is one of his better novels, avoiding most of the preaching or attempt to shock of some of his books.

Next up, I am reading Small Fry, a memoir by Lisa Brennan-Jobs, daughter of Steve Jobs. It is an easy and enjoyable read and provides insight into Steve Jobs from a slightly different perspective than some other books written about him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This entry is the example that demonstrates the importance of a readily available "back-up book" for the intrepid reviewer.