Monday, June 25, 2012

Replica 1 Now Running With 65816 CPU


I've now built the 65816 CPU adaptor board described here. The parts arrived last week, I finished wiring it up today, and I powered it up with the Replica 1 for the first time. I was amazed to see that it came up in the Woz Monitor.

I was a little concerned that the design was too simple, and if it did not work for some reason, it could not be made to work.

So far it looks good. I am able to run all the 6502 code I tried and my first quick test of some 65816 instructions, including going into and out of 65816 native mode, appears to work.

I built mine on a protoboard and used two 40-pin DIP headers and a short piece of ribbon cable to attach it to the Replica 1 CPU socket.

65815 Adaptor Board Attached to Replica 1

I'll report here as I learn more about the 65816 and get some code examples running on it.





Oh, and my copy of The New Apple II User's Guide arrived today from amazon.com. I'll post a review once I get a chance to read it (all 700+ pages!)








No comments: